News

Don’t Start a Fire in Clarksville, TN

What do the last few months of the year mean to you in Clarksville, TN? Is it cuddling with a loved one in front of a cozy fire? Setting out candles, Christmas trees, and other holiday decorations? Cooking a large meal for family get-togethers? These activities also increase the risk of fires in your home. Avoid this devastating disaster by following a few simple tips.

  • Watch the greens. Greenery such as trees and wreaths add much to the holiday season but can also catch fire if they’re placed too close to heat sources such as fireplaces, candles, or heating vents. Keep your foliage at least three feet away from such sources. If you’re hanging lights on the greens, inspect the electrical connections to make sure that they’re not worn or frayed. Lights are inexpensive enough that you can replace them with new versions if you spot any signs of wear.
  • Be careful with candles. Candles add visual warmth and a bit of romance to a space but any open flame can catch fire. Never leave them unattended and always put them at least a foot away from flammable items, such as curtains or holiday centerpieces. Put them in sturdy containers so they don’t accidentally tip over. One way to get the look without the danger is to use battery-operated flameless candles.
  • Cook safely. The main cause of fires in the USA is unattended cooking. So if you need to leave the kitchen, such as to pull your little nephew off of the Christmas tree, turn off the heat first. As a precaution, always keep a large lid nearby. You can use it to cover a small grease fire while turning off heat. Do not remove the lid until the your pan has cooled completely.

If you want to know what more you can do to keep safe from fires or want to find a place to rent this holiday season, please contact us.